Wednesday, October 07, 2009

Quiches!

- z.

So there I was salivating while reading/viewing some food blogs where suddenly, upon cruising through some of their archives, an entry about quiche loaded before my eyes. It was then that I realised that I should probably start making some... before I lose too much liquid from my body. :P

And THUS, the search for easy-to-make Quiche recipes began!

I learnt that there were two ways of making quiche : one where you make the crust and contents separately, and the other where you just pretty much mix the whole thing up. Laziness would dictate that I do the latter, but seeing that I was out of self-raising flour which that one requires, I did the first one, which wasn't too bad to begin with. Later I saw a friend and got some self-raising flour from her, so I did the second recipe as well because I had way too much 'filling'. Much later, I used the excess of that (I told you I made way too much :P) for some pasta.


So let's make some Quiche already!


Quiche #1

The quintessential quiche, for me, is one that uses sour cream or 50% cream 50% milk.
...but to put it simply, I used neither in this first recipe...because I forgot, lol. So this is practically like an egg tart. A very savoury egg tart.

Next time I make these (which will probably be aaaaaaaaages away because they're so unhealthy with all that cheese and eggs, lol) I will :
  • add cream (duh)
  • add spinach (because I'm dumb and forgetful D:)
  • add tomatoes (because I forgot again D: D: D:)
  • make the crusts thinner :D
  • use cheddar cheese 

Anyway, Here's the recipe I used for this one: ( My comments/alterations are in red. :) )
  • Crust (recipe suggested by Afdzal, thank you!!) : from Recipezaar.
    • Ingredients
      • 1 cup flour
      • ½ teaspoon salt
      • ¼ cup olive oil or canola oil - I used soya bean oil
      • ¼ cup cold water - refrigerated is good

    • Directions
      • Mix flour and salt with fork. 
      • Beat oil and water with whisk or fork to thicken.
      • Pour into flour and mix with fork ~ I think it's perhaps easier to use my hands, so I did. However, if you do this, don't knead too much, and make sure to put it in the fridge for a few minutes.
      • Press into 9" pie crust ~ I used a muffin tray, it works just as well

  • Filling (found at Suite101)
    • Ingredients:
      • 1 cup shredded cheese ~ I used vegetarian edam. It tastes kinda funny before it's cooked, but the aftertaste pretty much disappears after it's cooked. It's also quite creamy, so it's got a nice texture to it after the quiche is done. 
      • 1-1½ cups of whatever ~ I used:
        • 1tbsp of finely chopped garlic
        • 1tsp of ginger
        • 2 cups meat:
          • minced chicken (2 burger patties, mashed, actually =_=)
          • 1 chopped chicken sausage 
            • I realise that these processed meat products aren't as good as real lean meat, and aren't exactly healthy/conventional lol, but they're practical items to have around the kitchen.
        • 1 big white onion
        • 1 carrot
        • 1 capsicum,
        • ¼ cauliflower
        • Salt to taste
        • Blackpepper
        • A pinch of oregano, basil, parsley 
      • 4 eggs
      • 2 cups heavy cream or half & half with milk ~ Didn't add this in x_x 
      • ¾ tsp salt
      • ¼ tsp nutmeg, ground ~ Didn't add this either, because I don't have any. And I think I might be allergic to it, for some reason. I substituted this with some basil, a little bit of oregano and some parsley. Because I kinda predicted that I was gonna screw up anyway since it's my first time, so might as well experiment, lol.

  • Crust + Filling (also from Suite101)
    •  Directions
      • Sprinkle cheese evenly over the bottom of the crust. 
      • Place veggies, meats and other additions on top of the cheese. ~ I separately cooked my filling first till about 75%, because I use meat and I tend to get paranoid about meat not being cooked well :P.
      • Whisk together eggs, cream, salt and nutmeg in a medium size mixing bowl on medium speed.
      • Carefully pour cream on top of veggies, etc. ~ Seriously, do this carefully or everything may spill out of the crusty bit like mine did. -_-
      • Bake at 350degF/approx. 176.6degC for 45 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
      • Let sit for 15 minutes before slicing. ~ Content IS hot when it's fresh from the oven. Or you'll get a burnt tongue *shifty eyes*
      • Refrigerate leftovers.
And the result?

miniquiche
It doesn't taste that bad, I swear. x_x

~
Next, Quiche #2


Note for next time:
  • USE BUTTER! =_= I keep skipping ingredients accidentally, sigh! (I'm terrible at following recipes...)
Recipe taken from Best Recipes. :)
  • Ingredients:
    • 4 eggs ~ Used probably 3 eggs...long story.
    • 1½ cups milk ~ I used 2 cups by accident, sigh...
    • 3 tbsp melted butter ~ I suppose oil would do?
    • ½ cup self-raising flour ~ IMPORTANT! 
    • 1 cup grated cheese ~ Haha I grated my thumb while doing this =_= - the ingredients were fine tho!
    • 2 cups of whatever ~ See above 'whatever'

  •  Directions: 
    • Set oven to 180degC
    • Whisk together thesefirst 4 ingredients (eggs, milk, butter, s-r flour)
    • Fold in cheese and filling
    • Pour the mixture above into a quiche pan  ~ I used a normal medium-sized square baking pan ... which is a lot thicker than a normal quiche pan (quiche pans tend to be wide but short).
    • Bake for about 40 minutes ~Wait for about 10-15 minutes before serving
 Et voila:

bigquiche

This was right after I took it out from the oven, so the middle part is kinda bulging out.


To be honest, I prefer the taste of the 2nd quiche to the first, but then... I was silly enough to miss the milk of the 1st one, so I guess it's unfair to compare to begin with. Hehe.

As I've written above, due to the excess filling, I decided to make a pasta dish. Thus:

Pasta!

Chicken, Carrot, Capsicum Pasta

So that's just pasta (leftover elbows and spirals from previous cooking), about 250g, boiled (without the essentials : a tsp each of oil and salt, because, again, I forgot to add until they were done T_T), with other stuff. After sifting out the boiling water, I chucked the pasta into the pot with the extra filling. Then I twirled the whole combo around the pot with medium heat to let it mix. I added some salt, black pepper, oregano too. BecauseomgIloveoreganoomgitisawesome :P

And that's that. End of story, YAY! I can do other things now because this entry's done! :D :D :D

Hope I gave some ideas on how you can venture more in your cooking, or at least improve on. :)

2 comments: